Yep, you guessed it – numerology is all about numbers. Specifically, the study of numbers and their energetic influence in your life. According to numerologists (people who practise numerology), numbers have a far deeper meaning than their numerical value and can offer insight on unique characteristics, future events and even your life purpose.
“Imagine that there is a secret code that once unlocked could tell you why you are here, what your challenges are and help you navigate the craziness of life. This code could explain why you attract a type of person and why you struggle with certain areas in your life. It could even reveal your hidden destiny,” says Josh Siegel, a master numerologist with 25 years of experience.
Intrigued? You’re not alone. “Interest in numerology has been growing in the past few years,” says Josh. “The trauma and tiredness of the last few years has pushed people to go off the beaten path and explore spiritual tools and alternative practises,” says Novalee Wilder, professional numerologist.
Here, Josh, Novalee and UK-based numerologist Jane Alton shed light on the basics of numerology, how it can be a useful self-care tool in the wellness space as well as the power and meaning behind each number.
What is numerology?
“Numerology is an ancient mystical science that is founded on the concept that all living things have qualities based on their number vibration,” explains Josh. “Essentially, we all carry our own unique life story that can be interpreted by a series of numbers that tells us what our blueprint will be.”
A numerology chart is calculated from a person’s birth date and the full name with which they were born. “When done correctly, it is the code which unlocks our life purpose and illuminates the lessons we are meant to learn,” adds Josh.
Get the universe on your side.
Where does numerology originate from?
The origins of Numerology date back to the dawning of civilisation. “We can trace western numerology back to Pythagoras (570–490 BCE), Chaldean numerology back to the Chaldeans and Babylonians (2300-900BCE), and Indian numerology back to some of the oldest Vedas (1500–1200 BCE),” says Wilder. It is, however, commonly thought that Pythagoras developed a more cohesive system.
“The great sage’s teachings were that all things vibrated to their own number and that there is a divine order to life that can be understood through numbers. Later systems directly connected letters and words to numbers whereby names could have hidden meanings. The Hebrews created such a system called ‘Gematria’ and the Greeks used a similar process named ‘Isopsephy’ to correlate the letters of their alphabets to numbers,” continues Josh.
How can understanding numerology benefit your life?
“We can get clear on the major skills, perspectives and gifts we have come here to share and explore,” says Novalee, “we also see obstacles in a different light and are able to deal with them from a more grounded and powerful place.” So, by understanding our unique numerical code, we can get a greater sense of who we are, where we’re going and what our purpose is.
“I believe society as a whole has become more open to the alternative and spiritual,” notes Josh, “which wasn’t the case when I first started out on this path twenty-five years ago.”
Is numerology linked to astrology?
Astrology and numerology are two different practices, but they often go hand-in-hand – and many astrologers like to use numerology to give extra detail to a birth chart. Some might say that numerology allows you to understand a deeper sense of self based on the vibrations of the past, and while astrology does this too, it also explores how the planets affect our life on earth in the present.
What your numerology Life Path number is (and how to calculate it)
Keen to learn more? A great place to start is by identifying your Life Path number, “which is derived solely from a person’s birth date,” says Josh. “The Life Path number describes a particular lesson that we are here to learn; it also indicates part of our career direction.”
Say for example, your life number is two – you have an ability to read people but may struggle to say no and enforce boundaries. “With awareness, we can eventually embody this quality into our life and manifest its potential in whichever path we choose to take,” says Josh.
Every star sign brings something unique to the table.
Numerology is all about getting down to single digit numbers or root numbers, so you need to reduce until you get to a single-digit figure.
- Add together the digits of the month and day of your birthday. For example, if your birthday is 26/02/1993, it would be 2+6 = 8, added to the number 2, giving you 10. To get to a single digit, you add them together again – so 1 + 0 = 1.
- Next, add together all the numbers of your birth year. For example, 1+9+9+3 = 22.
- Now, add both these numbers together. So, in this example, it will be 22+1 = 23.
- Finally, add the two digits together to create one single number. In this example, 2+3 = 5, so this person’s Life Path number is five.
What your Destiny number is (and how to calculate it)
“The ‘Destiny’ number is an outdated term to describe our full name number,” says Josh. All the letters are ascribed to a number and are then added together. “It really has little to do with our destiny per se and is more of a ‘natural ability’, as I call it.” According to numerology, this number is descriptive of innate talents with which you were born.
“Essentially, what comes easy for you and where you do well without too much struggle,” explains Josh, who encourages people to use this number as a support to their Life Path number. “They should work together to integrate the Numerology chart.”
Before we start, note that every letter is associated with a number. Here’s a breakdown: A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4, E=5, F=6, G=7, H=8, I=9, J=1, K=2, L=3, M=4, N=5, O=6, P=7, Q=8, R=9, S=1, T=2, U=3, V=4, W=5, X=6, Y=7, Z=8.
- Use your full name at birth, so first and last name, and write down the number sequence for both. For example, if it’s JANE SMITH, that will translate as 15155 for the first name and 14928.
- Add the letters of each name separately. In this case, Jane is 1+5+1+5+5 = 17. And Smith is 1+4+9+2+8 = 24.
- Now add these numbers together, so 17+24 = 41.
- Finally, add the two digits together to create a new number, 4 + 1 = 5. Five is Jane’s Natural Ability number.
Mark your calendars.
What are master numbers?
In numerology, there are a few double-digit numbers that are known as Master Numbers. “These are noteworthy numbers that add great potential to a person’s life path – but can also test them,” explains Josh. Essentially, they are double digits that repeat, e.g., 11, 22, 33 and so on. “They are viewed as master versions of their base root number.”
So, the only time you wouldn't reduce your number to single digits is if you have a master number – suggesting you have a powerful vibrational energy that can bring success and achievement. But that may come with stressful or more higher-stakes consequences.
“For example, those with strong 11 energy in their chart may have an inspirational quality or an unconventional creativity that lends itself to a unique form of success. Yet, they may also experience more nervous energy with more highs and lows than the average person. It’s important to strive to use these numbers with greater awareness in the right manner. They do seem to bring greater intensity or depth to a person, but they typically provide some unique challenges as well,” says Josh.
What each number in numerology means
Here, Jane breaks down the meaning behind each number:
1) Independent, self-achiever, pioneer – You may work best if you have your own business, as you like to do everything in your own unique way. You are a natural leader.
2) Diplomat, facilitator, co-ordinator – You may prefer to work behind the scenes supporting others. You may be focussed on working in subtle ways, to get every detail right. Very aware of polarities, you may respond with emotion and want to act as peacemaker. However, if not at peace within, you may feel in the middle of a conflict zone.
3) Creative, communicator, turning raw feelings into great ideas – You need to be where there is laughter and joy, bouncing back and have fun no matter what. You may have a tendency to scatter energy as you are totally up for distraction.
4) Systematic, orderly, grounded – You like to focus on what is viable and practical, making ideas real. You can be very creative when there is structure, so you may love music, as well as building.
5) A great explorer, you need freedom, adventure and to feel you are living life to the full - You use your five senses to find their truth and to live their truth. You can be restless and there is the potential of addiction. It may help to stay focused on a very positive goal.
6) You seek fulfilment through harmony and perfection - You can be very idealistic and may be focused on making your home beautiful and harmonious. You may take your responsibilities very seriously and there is a danger of running on empty if you don’t allow yourself to see the beauty without the perfection.
7) You may need space and time on your own to know yourself at the deepest level and to remain true to yourself at the deepest level - You may be quite oblivious to what anyone else may think, but have great integrity and depth. You have the potential to make the spiritual real, as a healer or an inventor.
8) The manager, efficient, organised - You make things happen and can always be on the go. With 'no time for sentiment' you can be very direct in your communications. You may want to knock down and change everything, when young you can be like a bull in a china shop. You potentially learn that you can change patterns that will otherwise go on forever, without harming anyone.
9) Ultimately a great humanitarian - Initially, you may be a perfectionist who knows everything and won’t be told. You have to learn to be humble, to let go and trust with love, as ultimately 9s are here in service and can be wonderful teachers, revisiting and learning from all that has gone before.
If you're keen to delve deeper into numerology and what your numbers mean, consider booking in for a session with a numerologist. “Your special code gives you the tools of awareness to handle things more effectively as well as clarifying your overall life purpose,” says Josh. “There is so much uncertainty right now. The great mystics of the ancient world left us an extraordinary gift that has been preserved through the ages and is now ready to help us when we need it most.”